Wednesday 20 July 2011

Who wants cheap cinema/theatre tickets?

Tired of paying stupidly high prices to go and watch a film thats a piece of shit? Do you think paying 20 pounds for the privalige of watching a show at the theatre is wrong? If so then maybe I have found the solution. I want to start my own venue! The idea came to me while watching a screener of a documentary on the Arcola Theatre named I'm Going To Make A Miracle, a great film by the way and the fact it was made for 500 pounds deserves a huge well done, where Mehmet Ergen a young Turkish man who barely spoke any English came to London looking to work in theatre, couldnt find anything as he couldnt speak the language, and decided to open his own. He got friends to help him find seating from where ever they could find it (in the end they nicked it all from an indian restaurant that was closing down), put together a make shift stage in an abandoned factory which they squated, and started offering the stage to who ever wanted to use it. Ten years later and the Arcola is one of the most respected theatres in London. Mehmet is living proof that if you are determined and genuinely want to do something, and if need be are willing to go through untraditional methods, you can get what you want. So I've basicaly got the same idea but with one difference: Theres going to be a projector thrown into the mix also. Now, I know playing films to a public audience is a copyright shit storm, if you dont own the rights that is, but there has got to be a way around it, I'll look into it and see what I can come up with. And frankly, even if there isnt, I'll do it anyways and worry about issues when they appear. So I still need to find a space big enough to put a stage and a screen up, get a projector, find some seating, sort out a stage, let people know there is a space going for anyone with interest in putting on productions, find an audience to actually come to it, then make it all happen. As you can see its still in its alpha stages, but watch this space as hopefully in the upcoming months the prince charles cinema will have a rival in the making... Oh, if and when it does all come together I'll make sure I have all night 8pm to 8am showings. Hells yea.

2 comments:

  1. Copyright wise, I think everyone seems to forget that we are shown so many films at school and no one says anything about it...

    Like I said before anyway, good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm, I hadn't thought of that, maybe it will technicaly have to be an 'education centre' for me not to get sued into worse debt than the final year of Uni course. Educator Edun, sounds like a bad guy from a Judge Dredd comic.

    ReplyDelete